avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Plans to move ahead
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:13:45 GMT
On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 15:14, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Development Plan 1:
>
> We continue to support our existing projects while we start fresh
> on a new effort.  The new effort will be a scalable container that
> follows a "profile".  Basically the container will only use the
> features that are part of that profile and ignore everything else.
>
> PROS: It is new code that we as a team must work together on.  We
>       will have just as much functionality as we want without
>       worrying about functionality we don't want.
>
> CONS: It requires a more complex validation layer (i.e. we need to
>       make sure that components that are used do not *require* the
>       functionality we left out of the profile).
        + it requires a more complex backward compatibility layer
        + it might take longer to get a release that's useful to the
          cocoon people for 3.x (though the pro of that might be that
          more of them come over to help)

I would like to explore this direction, +1

> Development Plan 2:
>
> We adapt our current projects to the three/four tiered approach
> (Tutorial, Micro, Standard, Enterprise).  This is probably an easier
> migration path, and it would leverage the existing code that we
> already have.
>
> PROS: It uses existing code to build upon.  It is easier for a user
>       to determine what type of container that they need for the set
>       of components they are using.
>
> CONS: It isn't new development, so there is potential for "my way is
>       better" conflicts.  We may actually be more difficult to
>       determine consensus on the particulars of container/component
>       contracts.
        + while nice to put clear labels on things and restrict the
          scope of current containers a little more, it really doesn't
          make sense technically. ie merlin is already moving along the
          lines of plan #1, a micro container should be simple enough
          to be a tutorial container.........

I think this is the second-best alternative should many people not like
#0, hence I'm -0 on this one for now.

cheers,

- Leo Simons