avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Rules of Open-Source Programming
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:25:24 GMT
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 01:10, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<lots-of-snips/>
> more than these statistical details, I would like to know if somebody
> ever implemented something in Phoneix that Peter didn't like

yes

> or voted -1 on.

no (IIRC)

> No, Sam, Phoenix *IS* one person's work. As Merlin is.

that first statement is not true. I think it is unfair to the other
people that contribute and work on phoenix to keep making statements
like this. Please stop.

The second started out as true and will shift toward not true if things
go happily. If not it will probably become zero person's work.

> History proved me dead wrong: Peter has not been able to create one
> single healthy and diverse community around his code. This is an
> indisputable fact and would not be bad by itself (a committer isn't
> required to be a consensus builder) but it *is* bad for somebody that
> pretends to be a leader.

Peter has never pretended to be a leader (disagree? just find me an
example or two :).

Two more objections: I object to "single healthy and diverse community"
not existing (but keep saying it for long enough and it will come true
(I think paraphrasing yourself ;)), I also object to "his code" (again
keep saying it long enough....)

ta-dah: disputable facts :D

> Yes, I'm saying this in the open because I would like other people to do
> the same with me.

another "Rule" from Sunir:
The task for the leader of a team project is to work on the team, not
the project.

I'd say "primary task", but otherwise I'll happily say that with you.

cheers,

- Leo