avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] drop @author tags from source files
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:18:36 GMT
Hi all,

I saw a suggestion come by in that it might be a good idea to remove
author tags from source files as it will help eliminate any community
issues that arise from ego conflicts and/or 'personal playground'
problems. Removing the tags sounds like a very pragmatic way of helping
to remove any perception of code ownership.

The only disadvantage I could see arising from this is that it might
become more difficult to figure out who you need to talk to about a
piece of code you're looking at. I think the solution to that is simple:
indicate the software was authored by the avalon people, and reference
avalon-dev. Whoever wrote that code should be around on avalon-dev :D

As to credit where credit is due....we have a list of contributors for
that, and one can always look at the cvs commits.

Hence I propose we do a global replace of

@author Some Person
(...)
@author Other Person

@author <a href="mailto:avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org">Apache Avalon
Development Team</a>

Here's a +1 from me.

cheers,

- Leo Simons

I'm learning regexp at the moment but I've so far not succeeded at
writing the perl snippet that should accomplish the above so it'd be
cool if some perl guru out there were to help a little? (if not my +1
indicates I will spend an afternoon or two figuring out how to do this I
guess :D)