avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Breaking up Avalon
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:34:15 GMT
Hi Peter,

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 09:18, Peter Donald wrote:
> I had hoped that it would not get to this point but unfortunately that does
> not seem to be the case. However it looks like the best thing for all parties
> involved is to break up Avalon into different projects. One of the first
> things I am going to propose is the graduation of Phoenix and related
> infrastructure to a new top level project.

I personally think that making phoenix a new top level project would be
bad for apache as a whole because of the grossly overlapping concerns
between any such phoenix project and a possible avalon project; we would
have rather permanent fragmentation of community.

I think that this would be bad from the perspective of users of apache
software because it becomes difficult to choose between what would
become competing projects (right now, we as avalon community can say "go
use Avalon Phoenix or Avalon ECM, this-and-that version" and the
competition is internal).

I think you could be right though that splitting of phoenix would be
good for the avalon developer community (as it has apparently become
difficult for some developers in that community to work together and the
community is failing to resolve those issues (taking this proposal as
evidence of that)), and this could then of course be good for the
software that comes out of that community, which could then be good for
apache as a whole and users of that software.

On this I still second the words of Greg Stein, which I'll paraphrase
and summarize as "the avalon developers need to learn how to work
together".

As an aside, I would say your depiction of recent history is not
accurate, but whether it is or not probably does not matter.

All that said, if a majority of the phoenix developers does want to
split off, I think it is the apache way to not be in the way.

cheers,

- Leo