avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] formation of an Avalon PMC
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:18:09 GMT
I think the vote regarding the Avalon PMC proposal was carried out in
accordance with the jakarta project guidelines and can be marked as
valid under those guidelines. I think that the requirement for consensus
approval (3 binding +1 votes and no binding -1 votes) has been
satisfied, as has been the requirement for majority approval (3 binding
+1 votes and more +1 votes than -1 votes), as has been the requirement
for lazy approval (no -1 votes).

Thus, I can only come to the conclusion that the proposal has been
approved.

It could be seen as worrying that a high percentage of active committer
chose not to vote. There can be many reasons why an active committer
chooses not to vote on a proposal; I think for anyone to make
assumptions about those reasons is a bad idea, especially since it is
apparent different people make different assumptions.

For example, my explanation would again be different from those already
given: either a non-voting committer was unable to vote (because he/she
was underway to ApacheCon, for example), deliberately chose not to vote
(for example, I can imagine a long-time emeritus, choosing not to
participate at all), was happy with the direction the vote was going in
(consensus approval), or did not want to commit to helping out make the
changes (as voting +1 also means volunteering to help make the changes).

Add up all the different reasons already given at this point and it
seems to become impossible to make any kind of general statement about
the reasons for the large ratio of non-voting committers. I would
suggest we do away with further discussion on this proposal and simply
accept the outcome.

best regards,

- Leo Simons