avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject PMC et al
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:08:34 GMT
I am glad we are finally considering a true Avalon PMC.
I have long thought that we would be a good candidate for
a top level project, maybe even more than one.  Other than
standard legalese for all PMC charters, we should look at
what we explicitly desire for the Avalon PMC.

As to the explicit wording, I am not shure.  However, I
am looking at it in this way:

Avalon Framework: establishes the contracts, rules, and
expectations of Avalon components.  (note that those
intangible qualities can be expressed in code)

Avalon LogKit: the logging toolkit it always has been.

Avalon Excalibur: enabling technologies for Avalon
components.

Avalon Phoenix: establishes the server, rules, and
contracts for hosting server applications.

Avalon Cornerstone: collection of Avalon components
(since we should have one definition)

Anything else is not really fit for the Avalon
PMC/direct Avalon umbrella.

It was a nice gesture for Avalon Apps, but IMO something
like Incubator or SourceForge would have been a better
location.  Eventually they could have been made top level
projects (and some can, like FTP server or proxy server).