avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Fortress Backwards Compat
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 03:15:22 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>

> > It has not been released yet.  I have been sidetracked getting
> > used to a new job.
>
> kool ;)
>
> Do you think it will be released in the near future. I was
> planning on
> adopting it for a project starting in about three weeks and
> if there was a
> release by then ... well that would be great ;)

I wish I had the time to devote to it.  I wanted to establish
the Kernel concept like it is established in Pheonix and Merlin.
The core difference of course is in what the kernel does.  All
the Fortress Kernel would do is create the container/root
containers and handle JNDI published components (JNDI planned
for a future version).

The reason I want to make the change is to clarify what goes
in the Context and what goes in the ServiceManager.  When I
started Fortress, the ServiceManager was not yet written (talked
about but not written).  As a result, I chose to pass certain
services that I deemed Container-only services.  Those services
did not implement the much maligned Component interface.

Considering all the complexity in the ContextManager/ContextBuilder,
I wanted to simplify that completely.  I wanted to have a
ContextBuilder that would allow me to create a context for
my containers based on a number of parameters--or even based
on other contexts like the javax.servlet.ServletContext.

As it stands, I started the work while I was in Oregon on a
temporary assignment.  I probably would be done with it by
now if I had one more week out there.  Currently, I am
now a paid employee with a permanent job and sufficient income
but no time.  I am planning on backing out some code I did
not intentionally commit (I will have that done tomorrow) to
DataSource.

I know you have already put a lot of work into Fortress already.
I don't have time to document anything, so if you can live without
that for the time being it might be OK.  In the mean time, we
might want to filter out the Kernel portion for compile time
because it is not finished yet.  I have the concept of being
able to discover containers in Jars using the Fortress Kernel,
but the specifics are not yet finished.

If you are happy with the working code, we can aim for a very
soon release, and we will put a feature freeze on Fortress.