avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject Roadmap for Component Deployment
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:51:07 GMT
I would like to propose a plan for starting the multi-tiered
container model.  Keep in mind that what we had identified as
the #1 need for Avalon 5 is better container/component
contracts.  So starting out with the basic needs for Avalon ME
(Micro Edition) we need to identify the requirements:

* Small footprint (both JAR and memory)
* One container (no need for kernel/cli/etc)
* Works with J2ME
  - Any suggestions on reference platform?
* Easy to test
* Easy to configure
* Follows core Avalon framework only
* No extensions supported (less complex)
* Minimal set of meta-info supported
* Uses Java's standard Services JAR specification to list
  options for a service interface.

We need to build on this foundation, and we can add to it.

We are looking for a container that isn't much larger than
the Framework JAR.  In fact, I would be happiest if it is
less than 100KB.

As to the minimal set of meta-info, I suggest that we support
declared dependencies and name/version.  The ME version has
to determine if it is permissible to have a global namespace
like ECM/Fortress, or if the namespace is scoped like Merlin/
Phoenix.  What would it take to do that?

Support for ThreadSafe components is mandated, but support
for ThreadLocal components is permitted.  As to pooled and
"factory" components I think the memory constraints rule them
out.  For ME, lean and mean is the name of the game.

I strongly suggest that we use the spec for JAR Services listed
here:

"http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Service Provider"

for two reasons:

1) It is standard and well understood
2) It is very simple to tool (we can borrow code from Batik
   to do it).