avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [proposal] drop @author tags from source files
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:47:37 GMT
> From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@apache.org]
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>  > Is this an official board position? I think just about all the Java
>  > code I've seen has @author tags. Is this a commandment to
> remove them
>  > all in all projects?
>
> It is not a commandment, nor a board position.  Just a
> recommendation,
> one that I happen to endorse.
>
> Removing or changing @author tags to point to a -dev mailing
> list will
> not make an unhealthy community better.  However, their presence can
> make unhealthy communities worse.

I'll be honest, when I first saw this proposal I was very much against it.
The reasons that jumped in my head included "what is the big deal?" and
"what about recognition for the work that I did?".  However, as I saw the
arguments for the move, I see value in it.  Esp. for this crew.

Now there is a double-edged sword in this move:

If you need proof of your ability to communicate in writing, and you have
donated a large piece of documentation, having your name as an author on
that documentation really helps.  I did use my public work as a way to
show prospective employers my ability to communicate.  Now that I have a
job, that need is no longer out there.

One thing that I really wanted this community to do is to adopt the
"Developing with Avalon" white paper and make it their own.  I don't know
if you guys feel intimidated by the document, or feel that I would be
offended by such changes--but I can guarantee you that I don't.  It needs
to be a living document and track how to work with the current Avalon.
Any tips and tricks should be in a new chapter or appendix.

If it would help the community to feel free with the white paper, then
I say we remove all the Author tags and simply use "Avalon Documentation
Team" pointing to the users or dev lists.  We started that a while ago,
but the 50+ page white paper escaped.

Rather than have several similar documents, lets make that one the best.
I applied several patches from other developers and general users as well.
When "my" code is in Avalon's CVS, I don't feel that I have ownership over
it at all.  In fact, I derive more pleasure when other developers start
using it and modifying it--even when it doesn't follow my vision for the
way it should go.  When there is something potentially bad, I will speak
up and let my mind be known--but other than that it's open in all respects
of open software should be.