avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Shea <s...@gtsdesign.com>
Subject Re: Swing and Avalon
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:44:13 GMT
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, at 08:13 [+0200], Nicola Ken Barozzi (nicolaken@apache...:
> I did an avalon-based GUI Swing framework called Monarch
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-monarch/,
> and it works quite well, but it's not yet finised.
>
> It defines coarse grained GUI components-apps to be run in the
> Container, which gives them standard services: resource finding, icon
> resolving, eventbus, activation, etc.

I _really_ like the sound of this!

> The components are divided into Tools, Sheets and Holders.
> Holders are Containers, Sheets are the views, Tools are the Controllers.
>
> When an object is selected, the activation service is called and the
> appropriate view and tools are called on it. It's possible to switch
> views-apps via a tabbed interface.

Cool!  Even though I'm not entirely sure what it means, it sounds like
the direction I want to go  ;)

> I'd be happy to explain you Monarch better if you are interested, and
> it's OS Apache-like license.
>
> --

I have been wandering around in the (plentiful!) source, trying to
figure it out.  I would appreciate any explanations you have time for.
If nothing else, I expect to get a bunch of good ideas from Monarch.

	Gary