avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on Avalon PMC ([Fwd: Re: Incubator, Jakarta, and new projects])
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:19:10 GMT

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Leo Simons wrote:
>>

>>>It's all rather icky.
>>>
>>>options to make it less icky:
>>>- jakarta PMC votes on releases (not really a practical option)
>>>- avalon gets a board-installed PMC which votes on releases
>>>- destroy avalon (rather not)
>>>
>>>This sounds like a rather good argument for an avalon PMC.
>>>

>>+1
>>

>+1 from me, too. It would seem to be our only viable option except for
>pre-emptively countersuing Microsoft, Apache and our users.
>
>However: Let's not rush this. This is a very general problem for
>all of Apache. There should be some guidelines from Apache on what
>a project should do in order to be legally solid. I've run around on
>the apache.org website, but not found anything. Anyone?

I think to be legally solid we have to first address the ability to
be accountable.  Accountable (to me) means that we can answer with
confidence any question concerning the development, release and license
status of any package in Avalon. It is only after that information in
place that we will be in a position to address "legally solid".

With that objective in mind, I could put together a document on the
Avalon CVS that lists all of the Avalon packages and we work together
to fill it out.

My initial suggestion on content per package is:

  name: the package name
  cvs: the CVS repository
  status: ALPHA | BETA | FINAL
  release: <date>, <version>
  license: <applicable-license>
  dependencies: <list of Apache packages the the package is dependent on>

And for packages the use or are derived from non-Apache content

  external: <list of non-apache depedencies together with license notes>
    name: the external package name
    type: BINARY | DIRIVED-SOURCE
    license: short description of the license, e.g. LGPL

And finally, and and comments/actions that need to be taken to get the
package into a "legally solid" state.

Thoughts?

Steve.

>/LS