avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Containers
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:12:34 GMT

Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Can anyone point me to a quick discussion of the assorted Avalon
>containers?  I'd like to see something that has the status, the
>development goal(s), and a short list of supported features for each
>container.  Does such a doc exist?  If not, could someone write up a
>quick summary?  Either a reference or a reply would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks.

Peter:

There is a summary of the difference between the different contains on
the Merlin FAQ.

  http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/merlin/faq.html

In terms of Merlin future direction - immediate work is focussing on
service distribution (connecting a somponents in one container with
services resident in another container executing in a different system).
 Beyond that there will be additions to enable
ComponentManager/ServiceManager lookup policy customization which will
enable Merlin to complete handle the semantics implied by the
ECM/Fortress lookup model.  Beyond that - there is strong interest in
the delivery of a component packaging model - something more fin grained
by the Phoenix SAR file - more like container configuration packaged to
go so that we can start using relatively complex component/service
assemblies as reusable service modules.

Cheers, Steve.

>--Peter
>

>--