avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reorganization of Avalon
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:18:14 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As some of you are undoubtably aware, Jakarta/Apache is in the process of
> going through some rapid evolution. Part of the problem is that Jakarta is
> too big, too out of scope and doesn't offer any legal protection for the
> majority of it's constituents (ie all of Avalon).
>
> There are several different initiatives underway to "fix" this problem. I
> would like us to start looking at some of the less radical steps that can be
> taken to address these issues.
>
> In particular there has been two new top level projects created;
> commons.apache.org and incubator.apache.org. Nicola is heavily involved over
> in the incubator.apache.org and I am keen on commons.apache.org.
>
> You can go to both websites to see a basic overview (neither are fully fledged
> yet but are worrks in progress). Basically incubator is where you go to
> create new communitys and codebases while commons is like Jakarta Commons
> except Apache-wide and following the standard Apache rules for each component
> (or grouping).
>
> Firstly I would like everyone to consider starting to move selected parts of
> excalibur over into the commons. In particular the parts I would like to move
> over first are the ones that are decoupled from Avalon/Framework. In
> particular the following list of components are candidates.
>
> Component         Committers
> bzip              peter + some ant devs?
> tar               peter + some ant devs?
> zip               peter + some ant devs?

I believe these three are already in Commons-Sandbox.  Nicola started the
migration.

> naming            peter + anyone else like u Berin?

Sure.

> extension         phoenix devs
> policy            phoenix devs
> loader (when stable)
>                   phoenix devs

Get it over into sandbox.  BTW, there is a new project starting over
there that is really interesting.  It is called "clazz".  I have been
in talks with them to be able to have a project that provides metadata
and delegates in a generic fashion (not just Avalon specific).

> converter         peter + Eung-Ju
> i18n              peter + Eung-Ju

+1  make sure there isn't something that is conflicting/complimentary.

> cache             Eung-Ju
> cli               peter + Berin

I have been in talks with the Commons CLI author.  He is very responsive,
and *almost* has all the functionality that Avalon CLI has.  There are
some issues, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.  The
Commons CLI package is much more flexible, and it is easier to set up
Options.

> io (maybe merge with j-c io)
>                   peter + Berin + jeff

I think that work is already done.

> Theres a few other components that may move but the above gives us a start.
> Does anyone want add anything to the above list (either components or
> committers)? As most of these components are stable, being a committer will
> basically mean you go over there and help any problems that arise and maybe
> add a smidgen more docs or code fix ups.
>
> Thoughts?

We already have Collections merged, so we need to make our codebase
depend on Commons variation.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin