avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: collections is released!
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 02:58:41 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I will go through the process of committing the full deprecation on
>>> Avalon collections and move it to Commons.  We can get rid of that
>>> dependency completely from our CVS.  The question is, when do we want
>>> to remove the dead code with a CVS delete?
>>

>> Some questions:
>>
>>  1. has the Excalibur Collections even been officially released?
>

> As part of Excalibur 4.0, yes.

<groan/>

>>  2. do we know of anyone using it
>

> Every ECM user.
>
>>  3. what is the impact on an Excalibur Collections user to migrate?
>

> In most cases it is as simple as changing the classname.  I.e.
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.collections.BucketMap becomes
> org.apache.commons.collections.StaticBucketMap.
>
> The interface is identical.

So a migration buildfile would basically be a replacement of package
imports ?
If so, could we add a migration.xml to the base directory ?

>> Some suggestions:
>>
>>  1. Insead of deleting put README in place that states clearly that
>> the package is dead
>>  2. Move the package into something like
>> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/subset/collections
>>  3. Delete the build file so as to prevent inadvertent CVS builds
>

> The big thing is that we need to establish the procedure now.  Already,
> the JavaDocs are set up so that everything is deprecated and pointing
> to the new class names.
>
> Should we have a "dead" directory, and move the dead projects there
> before deleting?  In this case, we would have:

Actually - I made a small mistake in the above message - instead of
"subset" - I meant to say "sunset".  Its more gentle the "dead" which
certain cultures tend to avoid at all costs.
So, I would +1 an jakarta-avalon-excalibur/sunset/collection real fast.

> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/dead/collections
>
> The build file would still work, but no wasted effort will be used to
> maintain the collections.
>
> Would that be sufficient?

Yes with:

   dead --> sunset
   migration.xml
   correcting the license even if it going into retiement

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL