avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: collections is released!
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 02:41:51 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> I will go through the process of committing the full deprecation on
>> Avalon collections and move it to Commons.  We can get rid of that
>> dependency completely from our CVS.  The question is, when do we want
>> to remove the dead code with a CVS delete?
>

> Some questions:
>
>  1. has the Excalibur Collections even been officially released?

As part of Excalibur 4.0, yes.

>  2. do we know of anyone using it

Every ECM user.

>  3. what is the impact on an Excalibur Collections user to migrate?

In most cases it is as simple as changing the classname.  I.e.
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.collections.BucketMap becomes
org.apache.commons.collections.StaticBucketMap.

The interface is identical.

> Some suggestions:
>
>  1. Insead of deleting put README in place that states clearly that the
> package is dead
>  2. Move the package into something like
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/subset/collections
>  3. Delete the build file so as to prevent inadvertent CVS builds

The big thing is that we need to establish the procedure now.  Already,
the JavaDocs are set up so that everything is deprecated and pointing
to the new class names.

Should we have a "dead" directory, and move the dead projects there
before deleting?  In this case, we would have:

jakarta-avalon-excalibur/dead/collections

The build file would still work, but no wasted effort will be used to
maintain the collections.

Would that be sufficient?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin