avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: licensing issues revisited
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 02:48:59 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:14, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Can you provide me with a Jakarta or Board level reference to this
>>position ?
>>

>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

Unfortunately this does not clarify the point you commented on concering
dual copyright. I actually been over thjis material in detail together
with all of the board minutes since the founding of Apache - been doinbg
a log of digging over the last week.

>However I made it quite clear prior to any exolab stuff to Apache that
>copyright assignment must take place. It was one of the reasons you went to
>sourceforge first IRC.

That's correct - the orignal move to SF address the meltdown doing on
inside Intalio/Exolab at the time.  We expected to be able to continue a
dialog with the people we know inside the respective companies.  As it
turned out - the primary contacts within the group al lost their jobs
and following up on the process shifted to members on the board who at
the time were much more concerned about Intalio fund raising activities.

>There has only ever one place where someone attempted to do such a thing (at
>least that I am aware of). That was when Jason Hunter wanted to distribute
>source he wrote in his book without crediting Apache.
>
>End result is the dual
>copyright was removed and assignment took place. Heres a remanent;
>
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-ant/src/main/com/oreilly/servlet/Attic/MailMessage.java

This is the sort of thing I would like to get clarification on.  The
email you referred to makes in effect a statement of preconditions
related to the basis on which assignment was made.  Technically I agree
with the dual copyright position - but all this really means is that
there is an assignment of rights between Hunter and Apache.  The
differenc between this and the Exolab case is the Exolab require that
recognition and inclusion of the copyright statements attributed to the
Exolab content.  Sufice to say that this is all much cleaner when code
is donated.

 I confess that I have not given this issue the attention it should have
received - appologies for that, however -  I've contacted several
members of the Jakarta PMC yesterday to get guidance on this matter
(some feedback already in - more actions to take care of tommorow).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL