avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: RE: License and copyright issues]
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:17:37 GMT
Just a FW to see how this discussion is going on another list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: License and copyright issues
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:32:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Michael A. Smith <mas@apache.org>
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
 > At 10:56 21.10.2002 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
 > >I found a few things not yet mentioned:
 > >

 > >3) There are many, many cases where an abbreviated form of the Apache
 > >license is used. I don't recall whether this is permitted or not,
but I know
 > >at the very least it's "not recommended".
 >
 > Your statement is generally accepted to be correct. However, it will
create
 > unnecessary work when the ASF switches to the next version of the
license
 > which is significantly longer than the current one. It will be
impractical
 > to copy it verbatim in each source file. For this reason, most projects
 > will have to revert to using the short form. As far as I know, the short
 > form is perfectly legal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This question has been asked and answered numerous times.

The short form is not allowed.  Period.

The 1.1 version of the apache license does not allow for it.
Supposedly, when the 2.0 version of the apache license is released,
there will be a short form that will accompany it.  But until that time,
there is no such thing as a "short form" of the apache license.  There
is one and only one acceptable license to place at the top of the files
and that is the so-called "long" form, or the "full" license.

regards,
michael

For additional commands, e-mail:

             - verba volant, scripta manent -