avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question: would we like avalon split?
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:35:34 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be getting
>sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
>(like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
>conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
>kind of 'uber-project'.
>
>Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
>size and scope of the avalon project?
>
>I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
>avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
>figure out how broad the support for this is =)

I think we are overdue for some reorganization :-)

I've put together an outline of the Avalon projects below together with
a quick and dirty summary of the status as far as I am aware.  I would be
interested in filling out this list and getting a better idea of what's
dead, what's released, what active, what's dormant, what's already been
shifted over to commons ... i.e. to get a bettewr picture of where we are.
Please note that a "?" just means "I don't know what the current status
is"!

Maybe we can try to break out at least what is active versus what is
graveyard, together with separation of special cases.  That would help a
lot in getting an idea of the implication of a reorganization.

* avalon/framework               active/released
* avalon/logkit                  active/released
* avalon/testlet                 graveyard ?
* excalibur/altrmi               active
* excalibur/assembly             active
* excalibur/baxter               ?
* excalibur/cache                ?
* excalibur/cli                  ?
* excalibur/collections          ?
* excalibur/concurrent           ?
* excalibur/configuration        active/released
* excalibur/container            active
* excalibur/containerkit         ?
* excalibur/converter            ?
* excalibur/csframework          ?
* excalibur/datasource           ?
* excalibur/event                active
* excalibur/extension            active (comming up to a release
sometime soon?)
* excalibur/fortress             active (moving towards release)
* excalibur/i18n                 active/released
* excalibur/info                 active
* excalibur/instrument           active
* excalibur/instrument-client    active
* excalibur/instrument-server    active
* excalibur/interceptor          ?
* excalibur/io                   ?
* excalibur/jprocess             ?
* excalibur/loader               ?
* excalibur/logger               active/release
* excalibur/merlin               replaced by excalibur/assembly
* excalibur/meta                 active
* excalibur/monitor              ?
* excalibur/naming               ?
* excalibur/policy               ?
* excalibur/pool                 active/release
* excalibur/sourceresolve        ?
* excalibur/store                ?
* excalibur/tar                  ?
* excalibur/testcase             ?
* excalibur/thread               ?
* excalibur/threadcontext        ?
* excalibur/tools                ?
* excalibur/tweety               special case
* excalibur/util                 ?
* excalibur/xfc                  active
* excalibur/xmlbundle            ?
* excalibur/xmlutil              ?
* excalibur/zip                  ?
* avalon-apps/db                 ?
* avalon-apps/enterprise         active - candiate incubator project
* avalon-apps/ftpserver          ?
* avalon-apps/hsql               ?
* avalon-apps/httpproxy          ? (doc suggests this project is only a
demo)
* avalon-apps/infomover          special case
* avalon-apps/overlord           ?
* avalon-apps/phyre              ?
* avalon-apps/servak             active
* avalon-apps/simpleserver       ?
* avalon-apps/xcommander         ?
* phoenix                        active/release
* cornerstone/channels           ?
* cornerstone/connection         ?
* cornerstone/datasource         ?
* cornerstone/dom                ?
* cornerstone/masterstore        ?
* cornerstone/packet             ?
* cornerstone/rmification        ?
* cornerstone/sax                ?
* cornerstone/scheduler          ?
* cornerstone/security           ?
* cornerstone/soapification      ?
* cornerstone/sockets            active/release
* cornerstone/threads            active/release
* cornerstone/transport         ?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell