avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ServiceManager
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:47:40 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Daniel Krieg is going to enhance the Sevak block (or an optional
> extension of it) to register services retrieved from ServiceManager in
> JNDI for the use of WAR file webapps in Catalina in the same JVM.
>
> Unfortunately there is a catch-22.  The assembler must declare
> services in xinfo and the developer must use lookup on ServiceManager
> to get the service in order to register it in JNDI.  If we had a
> list() method on ServiceManager then we would be in position where we
> could code a block that speculatively reads blocks and places them in
> JNDI.
>
> The other choice would be to declare service names in config, get then
> via configure() then (out of order) retrieve then from ServiceManager.
>
> Thoughts?

What I typically do is use a component to setup the web application
context - the component basically declares the dependecies it needs (on
behalf of the web application), then resolves these services and
provides them to the we app.  Providing them to the web app could be
publishing the respective services into a JNDI context using roles names
(that the component has declared).  Over in servlet land, a
corresponding set of declarations would be required to declare to tomcat
that these services are available via JNDI (inside the web.xml file).

Cheers, Steve.

> - Paul
>

> --
> For additional commands, e-mail: