avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Delegates
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:23:05 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>>
>>Util is a scratchpad.
>

> Oh.
>

>>Leo Sutic wrote:
>>
>>>Berin,
>>>
>>>Therefore I suggest we try to get them into Commons/Lang.
>>
>>Your version would make it.  I am using Excalibur as a
>>scratchpad in this case.
>>

>>>I think it is OK for Excalibur to have dependencies on
>>
>>Commons, plus
>>
>>>having them there will increase the likelyhood of adoption.
>>>
>>>Opinion?
>>
>>True.  However in order for it to be in Lang, it cannot be in
>>its current form.  I will try adapting it to your form (the
>>factory pattern).
>

> Well, the code I sent is ready to go. I have an improved version
> with synchronization for the event class, so you won't get weird
> behaviour when someone registers an event while it is firing.
>
> Plus, it has some extra checks... It's better, simply put.
>
> OK, so how about some collaboration on this?
>
> I can put a cleaner, better version of my code into Excalibur/Util.
> Since I barfed out the code, I get to clean it up and commit it?
>
> Plus, it is in a desperate need of documentation, and I think
> I am the one most suited to write that (since I wrote the code).

Don't forget TestCases.  I modified the one I had for the old
Delegate style.  Delegate is taken care of.  The Event stuff is
all you need to do.

BTW, we are both listed as authors on the Delegate.  The original
idea came from me, plus the extra checking, but the larger design
came from you.  I like it alot better.

> Then, once we are confident that it works, we contact Commons/Lang
> and try to get it in there. Maybe in commons.lang or
> commons.lang.delegate.

Delegate works.  All we need now is Event to work!

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin