avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re[2]: OSGi
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:06:02 GMT
Hi,

Don't worry I don't think it came through to the list because it was too big
or something. I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of this aswell if you got a URI
or can send it to me ;)

I have looked at OSGi before. I actually spent a couple of weeks going through
OSGi, HPs CSF and comparing to Avalon ages ago. I am probably going to have
another look at OSGi but probably wont have a chance to do it justice for a
week or so so don't worry if there is no response for a while.

Anyways, from my memory OSGi actually is a slightly different style of
framework and solves a lot of problems that Avalon has yet to handle (ie we
have no consistent deployment or library format, nor do we have standards for
native librarys access).

It would be great to see Avalon adopt a format that was at least interoperable
with OSGi. IIRC OSGi had ServiceFactorys for each bundle that would allow
"foreign" component models like Avalon to be exported from a Bundle.

Avalon currently does not have the infrastructure to gracefully support OSGis
Bundles. However it is likely that our next generation architecture will be
able to use OSGi bundles as easily as current Avalon code. It would be an
interesting exercise to support it.

I also seem to recal that OSGI also defined a set of "work" interfaces for
services such as HttpServers and like. Depending on their exact
characteristerics they could definetly be useful to us (Lack of such
interface specifications was actually discussed on Phoenix-dev today).

However I think you will find that the legalese and licensing will be the
major block to adoption. RAND patent licensing effectively cuts off our
ability to implement something. Inability to aquire TCKs except by forking
out $ is also a problem with most of us as many of us work on Apache stuff
out of our own pockets. Inability to participate in specification process
except by forking out $ is another feature that is likely to discourage
adoption.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald