avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Validate XML all the time?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 07:17:49 GMT
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 09:47:11AM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Does anyone know of a method in which you can force an XML parser to validate
> against a specific DTD regardless of whether it is declared or not. So
> effectively I want to ignore the presence of DOCTYPE and always specify the
> doctype myself.

I hit this problem, and came up with:

http://doctypechanger.sourceforge.net/

which is an XML "pre-parser", to strip, modify or add a DOCTYPE
declaration to an incoming XML bytestream.

> I can see this is possible using external APIs or parser specific APIs but
> does anyone know of any vaguely standard way of doing this. Set a feature of
> some sort?

You can use a custom EntityResolver to force a specific DTD (perhaps
specified via an XML catalog). The problem is that if no DOCTYPE
declaration is present there is no way to force validation. There is a
SAX 2 extension that fixes this:

http://sax.sourceforge.net/apidoc/org/xml/sax/ext/EntityResolver2.html

In the meanwhile, I think using hacks like doctypechanger is the only
option.

--Jeff