avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question: would we like avalon split?
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:31:00 GMT
On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 04:35  AM, Leo Simons wrote:
> I've ben reading reorg@apache.org. For one, it seems we might be
> getting
> sourcecast, which is cool. There is also talk of larger-scale reorg
> (like moving projects out of jakarta all the way to the top
> conceptually), which are also especially relevant to avalon as it is a
> kind of 'uber-project'.

thanks for bringing this up here. the discussion on the reorg list has
been increasing at a dizzying rate!

> Question rizes: do current avalon committers and contributors like the
> size and scope of the avalon project?

its okay (ie kinda-world). more manageable chunks would be excellent
though.

> I know some of us (me, pete, for starters) feel actually splitting
> avalon into multiple pieces would be good. This is a quick poll to
> figure out how broad the support for this is =)

+1

My concern is with excalibur. Yes, there is a LOT of stuff in there
that should be in a commons. I believe the jakarta-commons has, in the
past, rejected the notion of having the avalon-framework jar in their
cvs or tied to one of the commons projects (with the notion of wanting
commons projects to be dependency free, but that seems to have fallen
by the wayside somewhat now since everyone wants logging :)

> along with probably different cvs repos, voting/access rights, web
> pages, PMCs, etc.

a "real" PMC, more akin to httpd than jakarta's...

> but we'd maybe still keep the current mailing lists, ie not completely
> dissolve the community. We might even end up with
> java-framework-discussion@apache.org, if I understand correctly the
> proposals on reog@apache.org.

yup, that is one of the proposals.. "if you won't cooperate, at least
share the same playground".
-pete
--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org