avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject separation of voting and commit priviledges
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:13:09 GMT
All,

following an interesting conversation between PD & Nicola on
general@commons (somewhere in messages 100-200) and also other threads
regarding voting on that list, I figured it might be a good idea to say
some things right here about the moral separation of voting and commit
priviledges @ avalon.

Avalon is a big project where not everyone knows all of the codebase or
works on it (sure as hell I don't know all of it :). Yet every avalon
committer has full access to all the cvs modules. This has many
advantages, like allowing everyone to do useful stuff like applying
patches, fixing language or adding docs.

However, informally, it is considered ill-practice here (I'd assume by
everone...) to participate in voting (other than lazy approval and/or
non-binding :) on pieces of code for which you are not a 'significant'
contributor/maintainer and for pieces of code for which you do not have
sufficient knowledge to make an informed decision.

Of course, 'significant' is something not so easily defined or perhaps
agreed upon when you have as informal a setup as we do (which might be
part of the problem behind our recent flamefests and yet one more reason
to eliminate scope creep and/or setup our own PMC - to be able to make
some things like this more formal); the 'informal' part also makes our
community work less transparantly (well, especially that this moral
guideline is also undocumented ;).

This is not to discourage anyone from participating in discussions where
they don't immediately see all sides of the story immediately or haven't
been involved with a piece of code before......on the contrary! That'd
be a disaster. I'm just voicing some more thoughts on voting behaviour
before heading to bed......if it all sounds silly just ignore me :)

weltrusten (g'night),

- Leo