avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Attributes (possibly the ravings of a mad man!)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:03:16 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]

<snip/>

>>Using BCEL to add and read attributes will make our lives
>>easier, although it is entirely possible to have something
>>that will scan the class file without BCEL (to limit the
>>number of runtime dependencies).
>

> Neat idea, very .NET-like, but it seems like a cumbersome way to me.
>
>  + Compatibility: Having our own classloader is fine, but is this
>    something that will work in most/all environments?
>
>  + What is the gain, really? We get a two-stage, highly avalon-specific
>    compilation process, and the only thing we get rid of is the
>    XML descriptor. (Agreed, we do not need an XML parser anymore,
> but...)
>
>  + As I understand it, from a developer POV, what you get with
> instrumented
>    bytecode is identical to what you get with your JAR scanner - a way
>    obtain Avalon-specific metainfo about a class.
>
> That said, it is an extremely cool thing.
>
> Now if we could only find a problem for it to solve.

Yes, it is .NET like, but here are the things that I would like to
have it solve:

1) Identifying the purpose of the class/interface: component, stage,
                      extension, service, listener, etc.

2) Adding attributes that a particular container can recognize, like
    what Peter D. has been going on about.  If a class has been marked
    as "distributable" or "publishable", then the Container can publish
    the service in JNDI or expose it via the distribution mechanism.

These things *can* be done with the Manifest, though.  It's a thought.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin