avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Add support for instrumentation ?
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:29:11 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:

>>   The instrument manager supports pluggable connectors.  Would adding
>>a JMX connector make sense?  That way all of the profiling data could be
>>accessed via JMX.
>>

>	Perhaps it might ? I think I need to learn more about JMX before
>	being able to say though. One thing I'm interested in is having a
>	SOAP connector, ie. to be able to deliver the profiling data via a
>	SOAP request.

I was thinking about that as well.  This should actually be very easy to
do.  Most of the code
to store things into XML format is already in there.  It is used to save
the instrument-manager
state to disk.

I had been thinking though.  Currently this is being done using
Configuration objects.  But
if it is used more frequently, as it would be with SOAP.  It might make
sense to get down
and dirty and write the XML directly to a string buffer or something to
avoid all of the
overhead.  Not sure how much of a difference it would make though.

I would also like to make a simple servlet based client.  Basicly just a
WAR that could be
dropped into any container and have it work.

You look like you have been using the Swing client for a bit now.
 Anything that you would
like to see improved?  I have a list in my head already. :-)

Cheers,
Leif