avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: serviceable vs composable
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:57:00 GMT

Greg Steuck wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>I've been around this block for a year now but there are still
>regrettable blanks in my understanding of some basic Avalon concepts.
>Namely, is there a place where I can find out why we have both
>Composable+ComponentManager and Serviceable+ServiceManager? I don't
>see any conceptual difference between them. (and their javadocs seem
>to be copy/paste/search/replace replicas of each other)

Greg:

The conceptual difference concerns the relationship to the Component
interface.  Under the ComponentManager, any "component" supplied by the
manager must implement (or appear to implement) the Component interface.
 Under the ServiceManager, a "component" is a java.lang.Object.  This
has an signficant impact on the usability of the Avalon Framework -
business systems that exist can be managed as services provided by a
ServiceManager. Other "component" can declare depedencies on non-Avalon
"components".

Cheers, Steve.

>Thanks
>Greg