avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:33:32 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:39, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>container: An active entity that manages component lifecycles and
>>performs low-level functions
>
> -1 on using the term Container in anything but the most abstract terms (ie an
> entity that hosts components). Different architectures tend to define the
> term container to mean different things completely. ie CORBA Adaptors are
> termed EJB Containers, each EJB-JAR partition is often refurred to as a
> container and the whole EJB application server as a whole is often referred
> to as a container.
>
> That is only one facet. Try using the same terminology across domains and all
> sorts of inconsistencies arise.

I agree with Peter.
I tend to think though that the definition should be (maybe):

- container: An active entity that manages components:

- Avalon Container: a container that abides to the Avalon contracts on
lifecycles, ... (include others), and that can optionally abide also to
other contracts, which it should declare in a standard way and describe
specific way.

>>entity: part of the computer hardware and/or software system
>

> -1
>
> Entitys is too generic a term and it often used to refer to concepts other
> that what you define it to refer to.

Then what do you propose to identify a software "part"?

>>resource: any entity or combination of entities
>
> -1

resource has no meaning to me too.

> see above. And repeat for oodles more terms you used ;)

ha ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -