avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 21:34:09 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,

>>> Agree that deprecation as a term is possible.  It was not the only
>>> thing called component though in the context of the Avalon project.
>>

>> Too bad, it should be.
>
> Agree.  Unfortunately (for terminology) ECM used blockless components.

It's deprecated, so it's not an issue.

Let there be only one "component"!     :-)

>>> -1 ... it is a new term.
>>>
>>> All others OK.
>>

>> "It is a new term" is not enough for a -1, nor even an explanation.
>> Can you please supply the alternative?
>

> I refer you to my previous posting :-
>
>  > My preference FWIW, is to use terms from those already
>  > marketted and not to add any more.
>
>  > So +1 to choices from Role, Interface, Service, Implements,
>  > Provides & Requires (used in manifests)
>
>  > And -1 to Facets, Provider, ServiceProvider, Cunsumer,
>  > ServiceUser, ServiceClient, WorkInterface, Exports,
>  > Depends, needs, uses, receptacle.
>
>  > If we have to obsolete some from the currently used set, then so be it.
>  > We're now better at referring to Avalon as Avalon-Framework or
>  > Avalon-Phoenix etc, I think the best course of action is term >
> reduction, a terminology page and some coaching on use.
>
> I hope that explains my position.

Unfortunately it doesn't.
The terms brought to our attention are already used and will be used
somewhat.
If we don't define them, people will naturally use them anyway.

> As for +1 & -1 voting, I fully expect
> to get overruled by many persons.  I am happy to go with a majority
> vote, I felt I should make my "term reduction" argument for the then
> second time - now the third time thanks - cheers!

Term reduction is good if there is more than a term for a concept.
You cannot reduce concepts, can you?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -