avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 18:50:51 GMT
Leo,

>block: deprecated alias for component

Agree that deprecation as a term is possible.  It was not the only thing
called component though in the context of the Avalon project.

>component: A passive entity that performs a specific role

Refer also to patterns to complete story.

>consumption: the usage by a component of a service

-1 ... it is a new term.

>entity: part of the computer hardware and/or software system

-1 .... over used.

>metadata: the complete set of specifications of component types,
>component profiles and service definitions

Personally I find the term 'metadata' and 'meta' too ambiguous.  I'd
prefer to see 'Component Metadata'.

>profile: the combination of the specification of resources consumed by a
>component at runtime and the type applicable to the component

-1 ... it is a new term.

>provision: the supplying of a service implementation

-1 ... it is a new term.

>resource: any entity or combination of entities

-1 ... it is a new term. And it is overused.

>role: the key by which a service is referenced at runtime

Hoping for simplification to key.

>type: the combination of a service specification and a dependency
>specification

-1 ... it is a new term.

>work interface: a java interface specifying component functionality (as
>opposed to specifying component behaviour)

-1 ... it is a new term.

All others OK.

- Paul