avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:56:34 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 02:04, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>>  <provides>
>>>    <role>
>>>      <key>conn-manager</key>
>>>      <interface>org.apache.avalon.ConnManager</interface>
>>>    </role>
>>>  </provides>

>>    2. I don't feel comfortable with the <role/> element - roles
>>       describe a form of usage of a artifact by a consumer - its
>>       the consumer that understands a role, not the source of
>>       the functionality - I would stick to <service/> as the
>>       subject of what is provided.
>

> The role is an equally valid concept from either end. The "Harrison Ford"
> Component can declare that it will fit into role "Han Solo". The "Fisher"
> Component can declare a dependency on "Han Solo" role via key
> "love-interest".

And in both cases it is neither Harison Ford or Carrie Fisher that
contain the role.  The role is defined outside of them - they represent
components that are defined by something else and only "fit" in terms of
the matching of their respective sevices and attributes with the outside
thing. The outside thing in this example is a script.

I.e. a <provides/> context should not be containing information about roles.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL