avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD locations?
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:36:34 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Today every DTD is relative to package.

Which is PITA for some dtds.

> Isn't is the packages responsibility to publish it?

yes...

> E.g.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/pheonix/dtd/... for something related
> to Phoneix, or http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/meta/dtd/ for
> soemthing relative to the Excalibur Meta Model Project. There isn't any
> requirement for a pool of DTDs as such.

There is.

As I have clearly showed, there is no thechnical reason why general DTDs
such as the meta descriptors cannot be standardized upon.

If a DTD is generic enough, it should be standard.
Keeping all DTDs in one place ensures that others will see them promptly
and collaborate on them.

So I'm +1 to have all DTDs that are common in

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

All DTDs that pertain *solely* to specific implementations go in

   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/imp-name/Foo.dtd

For example, the xinfo DTD will go in avalon/dtd, while the extension
dtd goes into avalon/extension/xt.dtd

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We got any standard for locating DTDs? Currently I have been storing
>> them at locations like
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/phoenix/Bar.dtd
>> etc.
>>
>> However I expect to see more of these little dtds arise over time.
>> Phoenix alone may be looking a separate DTDs for * 2 different
>> component models
>> * role descriptors
>> * manifest descriptors
>> * assembly descriptors
>> * classloader descriptors
>> * management descriptors
>> * security descriptors?
>>
>> Is there a preferred location for all of these? Is
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/Foo.dtd good enough and we live with
>> the fact that there may be 15-20 sitting there. Or do we chuck them in
>> something like
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/dtds/Foo.dtd

             - verba volant, scripta manent -