avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:20:17 GMT
Peter

>>>  <provides>
>>>    <role>
>>>      <key>conn-manager</key>
>>>      <interface>org.apache.avalon.ConnManager</interface>
>>>    </role>
>>>  </provides>
>>>

>>hmmm... component provides roles or services?
>>

>Traditionally it is Roles (ie interface+metadata) as we are now using the
>term. However Phoenix used the terminology "service"
>

>>Role=interface+metadata...
>>

>yep.

As a bystander in this discussion, I'd like to only offer that to me if
we are using a string key (as opposed to an object) to lookup things,
then it is a key.  'Role' as a complex object has never made much sense
because of this simple string key concept.  It is a string from the
assemblers point of view, as it is from the developers point of view.
 Talk of interface + metadata is more appropriate for the hidden impl
than the way in which it is looked up, and the term role is already used
for lookup mechanisms.

Please guys, try to keep this as simple as possible using as few terms
as possible.

-Paul