avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wakesoft
Date Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:50:10 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:02, Gonzalo Diethelm wrote:
> Could anybody familiar with the Wakesoft Architecture Server
> provide comments, opinions or flames regarding this framework?
> I'm particularly interested in comparisons between this thing
> and other frameworks, including Avalon.
>
> Just in case: http://www.wakesoft.com/

I wasn't able to get to the meat of this framework - I kept encountering
marketese, white papers, user reports, case studies ... arg!

However I think that I know what it probably looks like. Usually these sort of
frameworks allow you to define an application model using some high-level
modelling language (like UML or a derivative). This model is then used to
either;
1. build a database of model at runtime and use that to "interpret"
application. (ie I tend to use Commons DynaObject style classes in this sort
of case) This will also add plugin points where you can write your domain
specific services
2. generate the source code for the boiler plate code and allow you to
customize it. Ie generate the Object Model, generate the database/network
peers. Generate forms to edit objects etc.

If source is generated the framework can either;
a. Require you to subclasss things to get functionality (like torque allowing
subclasses of objects)
b. Require you to modify generated code

My personal preference is to avoid (b) at all costs because it is hard to
evolve and is basically "wizards" from MS world of development.

There is a huge number of these frameworks around. Many are very specific to
particular domains or technologies while others are more generic. Many more
are emerging to deal with things like making 2-tier or 3-tier a deploy time
concern. Using EJBs or not becomes a deployment concern etc.

Sun has one of these frameworks, I believe Oracle has one. There is also a
large number of opensource ones. One that someone has recomended to me is
http://www.javanovic.com/ which I think is a Struts centric version of this.

In Apache there is not anything like this. If you could extend the Torque xml
model and use it to gernerate RMI distribution layers, gui forms and so forth
then it may come close.

Essentially the process ends up being

Model --> Transform --> Write services == Application

(Though some frameworks also have services as part of model).

If Wakesoft allows you to extend their model, add more transforms (I think it
allows this) then it could be useful. Then it just comes down to how well it
matches your application domain.

The worst development project I worked on used a similar toolkit that provide
to be inflexable - which resulted in us doing 4-5 times more work than if we
coded it up ourselves.

In contrast, the best project I worked on used a similar toolkit and it saved
us massive amounts of time. My last 4.5 projects have used a MDA style
approach at least for certain aspects of the system and mostly worked well
but we customized each model to specific domain.

Anyways this sort of framework is othogonal to Avalon. In fact Avalon may be a
target of that framework (or it could use EJB SessionBeans). If you want to
see how I think it should be done; search back through the Avalon mailing
list for "Attribute Driven Development" and "Model Driven Development". A
couple of weeks ago I was yammering on about it ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald