avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build/* --> target/*
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:20:22 GMT
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:35, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:26:18PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like a lot more projects have moved to storing intermediate
> > files in a directory named "target/*" rather than "build/*". It does not
> > seem useful to continue. Is there still anyone who objects to it?
>
> Incidentally, does anyone know the logic behind the name 'target'? I can
> understand 'build' == stuff generated by the build process, so 'target'
> == ?

Well it is mainly because most of the builds that Jon setup used "build" to
indicate the build utilities and build files (ie equivelent to Avalons
tools/). I think it was Craig who started using target to indicate the
"target" of your build. It mutated to intermediate files because most people
also had a dist target ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald