avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Attn: Peter D] Services, roles, etc...
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:13:48 GMT
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:25, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I was more thinking that:
>
> That is, "conn-manager" implies:
>
>  + A certain interface (org.apache.avalon.ConnManager)
>
>  + A set of attribute keys (for example, it may declare "is-secure"),
>    but it does not imply the actual values of those keys. That is,
>    the "conn-manager" implies a list of attribute names, but not
>    the values of those attributes.

So equivelent to Cocoons (and myrmidons) short-name? Essentially just a short
name that maps to the Service (or Role in Cocoon/myrmidon terminology). So
that "conn-manager" is a name for the type.

> I'm all for the third case, where the role string has container scope,
> or
> the first case where it has consumer scope. The second case I find
> harder
> to accept. I just see a load of naming issues.

Okay - I get you. The first case is the one I have been proposing. However
that differs from what I interpreted you to mean just above. The key (whether
it be "abcdefg" or "harry-potter" is local to and defined by the consumer. It
is the containers responsibility to map a component into the component local
namespace (ie using the "abcdefg" or "harry-potter" keys).

I guess what I am saying is that we can have a shortname "conn-manager" that
refers to the service type. I believe Stephen did this at one stage for
blocks using their "name" field.

However this is not necessarily related to the name of the key that consumers
use to get a reference to the component.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald