avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Service and other Terminology
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:33:56 GMT
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:18, Leo Simons wrote:
> in order to do this, we need *some* form of definition for words
> commonly in use. "container", "entity" etc are used a lot. You (and PH)
> suggest that is an argument not to provide a definition, where it seems
> to me these are exactly the terms a user will wonder about when reading
> them and will want to look them up.

Perhaps - but only if the definition actually defines what we talk about. For
instance, ee internally use the term container to mean different things in
different contexts. Trying to define them all in a single entry would be a
nightmare. It would end up being container can either mean a, b or c. Or in
context P it can mean d or e.

So the definition does not really give us anything. We could go with a real
generic definition (ie a Container contains components) but what does that
add? How do we differentiate between Kernels and Containers?

ie too much ambiguity in our thinking, our term usage and so forth to be
useful.

> > Entitys is too generic a term
>
> yet it is often used in docs....
>
> > and it often used to refer to concepts other
> > that what you define it to refer to.
>
> ...I couldn't figure out a more generic definition of the term that
> still made any sense whatsoever....

Entity == Thing

It need not be hardware, software or anything else. There is conceptual
entitys, user entitys etc.

> I don't get it. You use words, but then when someone wants to provide an
> explanation of the words (or asks you to do so), you think the words are
> too 'generic' or 'vague' to be explanatory....which means your use of
> the words would also be too 'generic' and 'vague'.

No - the usage of words is context sensitive. The more generic a word, the
more context sensitive usages it will have. Thats why I suggested that we
adopt non-generic words and apply specific definitions to them (as that way
we could definitions in the context of Avalon discussions). However no one
seemed to want that ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire