avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Summary of excalibur wrt Avalon 5
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:11:46 GMT
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 02:33, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Could someone post a short summary of what pieces in excalibur are being
> >considered for use in Avalon 5?
> >

> I would ignore A5 if I were you.  Based on the discussions on A5, there
> were no convincing arguments for a major version increment over A4.  My
> own conclusion is that 4.X is here to stay for a good time yet.

That's fine then. A summary of all the activity and plans for the tools
that will be rolled into subsequent versions of avalon.

> >I'm plugging away at making a container
> >and I would like to use as many of the standard building blocks as I can
> >but I still do not have a very good grasp on what in excalibur is going
> >to be used for what.
> >

> Its simply a collections of tools and utilities that generally leverage
> Avalon Framework lifecycle patterns.  They typically get used within
> component and container implementations.  Excalibur can be viewed as the
> commons library for Avalon.

Sure, but what I'm interested in are things like containerkit. I would
like to know if it's worth the time to try and integrate that code into
my container. Or the various meta models, or the interceptors. I'm just
looking for a short summary on where the desire lies to maintain all
these new packages that are cropping up and how they might fit into new
versions.

I'm not looking for a detailed roadmap as I'm fully aware how thing may
change and I'm fine with making alterations as necessary to keep up with
changes until a release. I just wanted to get a little better picture
for myself and hoped that a short one line summary of each package would
help.

> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>

> --