avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: java and c++ un/marshalling
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:54:54 GMT
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 15:31, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I did some *very* simple stuff...
>
> DataInputStream and DataOutputStream, and keep track of the byte order.
> (I just standardized on big-endian.)

When dealing with data communication over GSM-like connections, it is
often easiest to roll-your-own-binary-protocol. I don't know of any
generic open source binary OOP-supportive transport protocol that would
ease your problem. I'd love to see one ;)

Of course, it all depends on your needs. You might want to consider
defining your own mini file format (which could always be
bzip2-compressed XML or SOAP if computation power is no problem...xml
compresses reasonably well) so you can use File I/O facilities if you
don't like streams.

> > From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
> >
> > For a project I need to create a webservice server/client
> > structure. The
> > server will be java and client will (better - must) be c++.
> >
> > I tent not to used SOAP because it's a bit heavy weight for
> > this project.
> > (connection over GSM) The hessian stuff from caucho seems to
> > be a better
> > choice. But they only have a java (and python) implementation :-/
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has some links or hints about
> > marshalling/unmarshalling (java <-> c++) objects.

there's

CORBA
WDDL
SOAP
XML-RPC

CORBA performance is nice, but I've always found it to be a little too
complex =)

- Leo