avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Configuring components dynamically
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:12:04 GMT
Hi,

I'm sure people have done this before but I'm not sure what the standard
way to configure a component at run time is.

I have Jetty/Turbine/Velocity component combination that I am using to
create web views for an application model. I'm past the initial testing
and now I'm ready for some real world setups. The web views are packaged
up in JARs which contain some configuration information and JAR of
templates which make up the view. Things are fine with one view, my
test, but I want to be able to deploy N web views and be able to deploy
new ones at run time. Each web view needs to have its own Velocity
engine, which is housed inside my Velocity component, so I need to
retrieve a Velocity component from the ServiceManager but I want to hand
it a configuration and have the Velocity component be configured on the
fly:

VelocityComponent vc = getServiceManager().
    get(VelocityComonent.ROLE, configuration);

Each web view will have different configurations may have varying
Velocity properties so I need to configure each velocity Component
differently for each web view.

I also use a scheduler component from within a messaging component and I
would like the messaging component to be able to retrieve a scheduler
component with a configuration as well.

How do you guys typically deal with this sort of dynamic configuration
and retrieval of components?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl