avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Service and other Terminology
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:44:07 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:39, Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> >>container: An active entity that manages component lifecycles and
> >>performs low-level functions
> >
> > -1 on using the term Container in anything but the most
> abstract terms
> > (ie an
> > entity that hosts components). Different architectures tend
> to define the
> > term container to mean different things completely. ie
> CORBA Adaptors are
> > termed EJB Containers, each EJB-JAR partition is often
> refurred to as a
> > container and the whole EJB application server as a whole
> is often referred
> > to as a container.
> >
> > That is only one facet. Try using the same terminology
> across domains
> > and all
> > sorts of inconsistencies arise.
>
> I agree with Peter.
> I tend to think though that the definition should be (maybe):
>
> - container: An active entity that manages components:

You are adding a semantic to the definition that does not exist.

A container is the software that loads, verifies, and manages the
components in a domain.

A domain is a part of an application--whether that part is 100% of
the application, or you have a heirarchical application, it is still
a part.

> >>entity: part of the computer hardware and/or software system
> >

> > -1
> >
> > Entitys is too generic a term and it often used to refer to
> concepts
> > other
> > that what you define it to refer to.
>
> Then what do you propose to identify a software "part"?

An Entity is an XML term, a socio-economic term, etc.  Peter is
right.

You can call a software part a "part", or refer to it as "the code
that...".
Either way, entity is too vague.

> >>resource: any entity or combination of entities
> >
> > -1
>
> resource has no meaning to me too.

A classloader resource means that you get something from a Jar, or the
classloader.  Generally speaking a Resource refers to a file, a network
location (i.e. the target of a URL), etc.