avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Container nesting, common attributes and startup layer: Solution? (was Re: BlockContext & Merlin.)
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:53:20 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

[snipped many things that don't reall make much sense to me, but that I
won't question for the respect I have of you; go along, I will follow]

> Nicola,
>> 3) define a common startup layer for the Avalon Containers, so that it
>> can be used with all containers. I imagine a single set of shell
>> scripts, a single servlet container, a single class container, which
>> can use inside any other container.
>> This would make it possible to run Phoenix or Merlin or whatever as
>> standalone, or in a servlet, or in another program... and also nested.
>
> I don't think you can count servlet.  Why?  It is not an Lifecycle using
> API.

Concrete example: Cocoon is an Avalon Container. I want to be able to
run it standalone (CLI), in a Servlet (as now) or directly as a .SAR in
Phoenix.

>> This would eliminate the problems we are having now, by making
>> components usable in all containers by nesting containers, and making
>> any container easily embedded in other apps.
>

> With respect, I have written two containers that sit on top of the
> default container Phoenix.  They are Jesktop and EOB.  Both of them
> handle classloading of their separate componets well enough.  It would
> be nice for me to use ContainerKit or Excalibur/Container to save lines
> of code, but I have not done so yet.  Anyway, the point is that
> container-in-container is possible already.

I can easily make plain components work in Phoenix, but as you have seen
with Merlin, viceversa is not painless.
Can Merlin use EOB?

> *Please* let me continue with my slow programme of issue-by-issue
> conflict resolution.

[I still don't see how your mail about the blurb is an issue-by-issue
conflict resolution; please remain concrete on the proposals.]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -