avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Container nesting, common attributes and startup layer: Solution? (was Re: BlockContext & Merlin.)
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2002 11:38:28 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Stephen,
>> I do not see how this would fail to add value towards the Avalon
>> user.  Perhaps you could provide your recommendations for the best
>> approach for users who are considering the development of new
>> components that they indented to be container neutral?  A Phoenix
>> wrapper hides the problem, but I don't think this is the best approach
>> given the different features and benefits presented some of the more
>> recent generation containers?
>

> Now mate, I'm getting worse again.  I'll reread later and see if it
> makes any sense!  It looks at first glance like sales blurb for Merlin

Paul, now it's you who is being blind.

The above paragraph says nothing about Merlin.

It says that we should strive to make the same Components workable in
all containers, even the more recent ones.
"given the different features and benefits" only hints that other
containers like Merlin have *different* features and benefits, not better.

But if it were a sales blurb for Merlin?
Does it annoy you?

Given your previous conciliatory mails, I hope not.
Let's get the best of both worlds instead of fighting.

  <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>
<> <> <> <>

I see three issues to tacle ATM:

1) define a simple and workable set of rules to make container nesting
seamless. Peter has already said that it can be done, and it would make
it possible to embed seamlessly Merlin in Phoenix, or viceversa, or any
other, as I proposed in previous mail as a workable cooperation solution.

2) define a set of common attributes. Some attributes are like
interfaces, and must be discussed on and standardized on (see the
common-attributes-revisited thread).

3) define a common startup layer for the Avalon Containers, so that it
can be used with all containers. I imagine a single set of shell
scripts, a single servlet container, a single class container, which can
use inside any other container.
This would make it possible to run Phoenix or Merlin or whatever as
standalone, or in a servlet, or in another program... and also nested.

This would eliminate the problems we are having now, by making
components usable in all containers by nesting containers, and making
any container easily embedded in other apps.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -