avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven, notes from XtC with James Strachan and Vincent Massol
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:42:09 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Stephen,

>>> OK, I've chatted to others at XtC last night.  There seems to be
>>> nothing but admiration for Maven.  Of those using Maven for the last
>>> couple of months amonsgst my contacts, there have been no regrets.
>>>
>>> I think we should avail of Jason (and others) help.  It may be best
>>> to start in Avalon-Excalibur as I have spend loads of time
>>> harmonising the build files.  If every a project-object-model was
>>> justifiable, Excalibur is it.  There is about 50:50 split between
>>> Anakia and Cocoon for doc building, but flipping to one or the other
>>> for consitency should not be hard now.
>>

>> Maybe 60:40 - Merlin has dropped Anika in favour of Cocoon.
>

> Yup, that makes me remember the thing that has been nagging me since
> mulling this Maven thing -  We are being disloyal to Nicola Ken.  He's
> been a loyal fan and servant of the Avalon and Cocoon community since
> the beginning of the year (and probably before) and we invited him into
> our CVS, originally with much enthusiasm to turn everything into a
> Centipede compatible build system.  In the ideal world two projects
> would never have started at the same time with people from the same
> community, but it happened.  I guess there is difference enough to
> preclude a merger nowadays.
> Nicola, this is nothing personal, it is just an inevitability given
> Maven is going primetime and the bleeding edge Apache projects are
> moving towards it.

The fact is that Centipede did more than an month ago most of what MAven
does now, and is now continuing development.

There is nothing in Maven that Centipede doesn't or is not going to have
soon.
The much hyped reactor is not much different from Gump, the descriptor
too, and Centipede does it all with much less code.
Well, none in fact, it just uses Ant in a clever way.

The real difference is that Maven gets more attention and use, which is
due to the fact that I chose to start the project on SF rather than in
Apache, trying to follow our guidelines instead of stretching them.

As I already said to the James community, wait for final releases of the
two, and test them.
Only *then* make a decision.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -