avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Maven, notes from XtC with James Strachan and Vincent Massol
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:26:06 GMT
Folks,

As promised I cornered first Vincent Massol and then James Strachan on
the subject of Maven and Jelly (though the latter is not as obviously
compelling to us).  Getting close to them at the way-busier than usual
eXtreme Tuesday was difficult.  It was a bit like Joseph Conrad's "Heart
of Darkness" (filmed as Apocalypse Now).

Anyway, it seems Maven is ready for prime time.   My previous assumption
is that Maven is best for template solutions (Excalibur's various
sub-projects being a good example).  I was wrong it is just as good for
single highly customised project builds.  Virtually everyone there left
with a good impression of Maven and a mental note to use it soon in
company and open-source solutions ASAP.  I'm going to compare notes with
some people who have been using it for a while and see what they think.
  Essentially though, I am left with the impression that we should phase
it in real soon.

James spent quite a bit of time talking of Jelly.  Way cool, check it
out:  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/

Regards,

- Paul