avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Cornerstone comps: needs of JAMES project.
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:07:27 GMT

Peter Royal wrote:

>On Sunday 18 August 2002 05:25 pm, Paul Hammant wrote:
>

>>  b) create a branch in Cornerstone CVS that supports the old Component
>>way.
>>

>+0
>

>>  c) find some clever wrapper way of supporting Componentized blocks.
>>
>>I am voing to vote +1 for (b).
>>

>Are ClassCastExceptions happening inside of Phoenix or just Merlin? Phoenix
>dynamically adds the Block interface to services that a block declares as
>dependencies. Since Block extends Component, I'm unsure of the exact problem.
>I know Stephen found a problem when running under Merlin... If that is the
>sole problem that should be solveable via proxies.
>-pete

This is nothing to do with Merlin.

The class cast exception ocurs as a result of a component manager
attempting to cast the supplied service to a Component.  This was a
perfectly resonable thing to do when Cornerstone was release.  There is
code out there that does this.  The changes in cornerstone have broken
compatibility with code from the user community.

I've already posted two examples showing the stack traces when using the
current Cornerstone jar with James.

The bottom line is that the retraction of the Component interrface
changes the block version - it is no longer consitent with 1.0.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL