avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: All committers please read -> Bad Karma is happening.
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:39:08 GMT
Stephen,

>>> so perhaps Peter can clarify where the
>>> differences for alternate container should be apparent.
>>>

>> No you summed it up well. All the containers I will work on will have
>> a common model. Currently this is evolving but getting closer to set
>> and is basically defined in containerkit project.
>

> Umm, sounds familiar - a common model defined within a scope that
> enabled YOU personally to veto anything that YOU personally don't
> like. Reality check - containerkit doesn't work for Merlin, doesn't
> work for Fortress.  Do you indent to deal with this or simply discount
> the rest of us as irrelevant to you view of the world ?

With respect to Peter, the .xinfo contract was not the product of a
rushed design.  Stephen, please pull back from personal attack.

>> It would be great to see other containers reusing the shared
>> components and this will happen in time. My initial motivation was to
>> enable myrmidon, and cocoon sharing with Phoenix sharing as a fringe
>> benefit.
>>
>> Hence in the future BlockInfo will probably be deprecated and
>> replaced with the more comprehensive ComponentInfo.

Are we talking BlockInfo.java here?  Or .xinfo?

> [...]

> [...]  The API is not defined by the DTD.  Please - let's focus on one
> layer at a time and keep the discussion cleanly focussed on the issues
> at hand.
>
> The objective  is one DTD that address all of the requirements - not
> just yours.

With respect, if the DTD allows elements and attributes that Phoenix
cannot use, then there is a possibility that the block developer might
avail of those features and thus, yes it is part of the API.

- Paul