avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All committers please read -> Bad Karma is happening.
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:05:59 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 03:22:31PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>
>>>+1 on peace, lurrve and understanding. But that's kinda hard to enforce..
>>>
>>>The definition of -1, from http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html,
>>>says that "no veto can be overruled", and that the vetoee's only recourse
>>>is to "lobby the person who cast the veto". Tough luck if they prove
>>>lobby-resistant.
>>
>>But also:
>>
>>"All vetos must contain an explanation of why the veto is appropriate.
>>Vetos with no explanation are void."
>
> No quality of explanation is required though. "A little green leprechaun
> told me to" is perfectly valid. Nor is it required that the explanation
> be defended. Sad but true :P

I don't agree.

>>This is an option to consider.
>>It's about the rules4revolutionaries thinking.
>>But it always brings to fractures in the community, see the Tomcat 3/4
>>story.
>
> And thank goodness that Tomcat 3 was not quashed, as many wanted it to
> be. I really enjoy using 3. It's about twice as fast on startup as 4.

Gee, you're right, now I know what a good server has to have fast
startup times. Hey, let's call it "starter" instead of "server"! :-P

>>I think that Phoenix is an very good program.
>>I think that Fortress and Merlin have a very good potential.
>>I'm sure that the multiple avalon repositories are a serious problem for
>>Avalon, because they fracture the community instead of keeping it together.
>>
>> I don't like that Peter Donald thinks that Phoenix is "his code".
>>
>>If Stefano taught me something, is that code in CVS is just of all, not
>>of the original committer.
>
> Well, if experience has taught me anything, it's that 5% of people do 95%
> of the work in OSS.

And the rest do the testing, proposals and bugfixes.
OS is also about free testers, not only coders.

> Bill Gates could wipe out OSS with relatively few
> well-chosen assasinations :)

I'm always a bit scared when there is the ApacheCon ;-S

> Consequently, I'm for solutions that do not
> hinder that 5%. So +1 for branching and bugger the community ;)

You mean that to not hinder that 5% everyone must code alone and branch
away? :-O

> <ducks, runs, heads off to bed>

... you'd better ;-P

             - verba volant, scripta manent -