avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Gerhard Froehlich <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Releasing excalibur subprojects
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:41:22 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> can someone give me a hint on what's the procedure to release a
>> subproject? Is a vote necessary?
>

> For releases, always, as said in our Project Guidelines.
>
> "
> Release Plan
>
> A release plan is used to keep all volunteers aware of when a release is
> desired, who will be the release manager, when the repository will be
> frozen to create a release, and other assorted information to keep
> volunteers from tripping over each other. Lazy majority decides each
> issue in a release plan.
>
> Release Testing
>
> After a new release is built, it must be tested before being released to
> the public. Majority approval is required before the release can be made.
> "
>

>> I want to release the store, the xmlutil and the sourceresolve
>> subprojects. Anyone against it?
>

> Before releasing excalibur components, I prefer to check if we can move
> the stuff elswhere, before creating a legacy here.
>
> So -1 till anyone wanting to release excalibur stuff explains why these
> have to be released here versus be in some kind of Commons.
>
> Now more specific points:
> - xmlutil -1: seems like a package for xml-commons, no Avalon dependency
>
> - sourceresolve +1: seems like a non-commons-convertible Avalon
> component to me
>
> - store -0: it *is* an Avalon Component, but there is a cool simplestore
> package in Jakarta-commons-sandbox, written by Gerhard Froehlich
> (g-froehlich@gmx.de) Juozas Baliuka (baliuka@mwm.lt).
> Gerhard, what's the status? Can't we make our store use simplestore as
> an impl?

I'm not involved in Simplestore, anymore. But it's a OR mapping API (JDO
and stuff). IMHO that's not needed in Cocoon and Co. The Store
components in Avalon are simple Data stores (NO DBs). There is a Jisp
(http://www.coyotegulch.com/algorithm/jisp/index.html) based Store in
Cocoon. I plan to move it to Excalibur-store to have all Cocoon Store
components in this subproject. That would be less confusing and more
continuous.

What do you think?

Greets
Gerhard

--

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for
anything you want to do.

Weblogging at: http://radio.weblogs.com/0107791/