avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing excalibur subprojects
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:24:31 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone give me a hint on what's the procedure to release a
> subproject? Is a vote necessary?

For releases, always, as said in our Project Guidelines.

"
Release Plan

A release plan is used to keep all volunteers aware of when a release is
desired, who will be the release manager, when the repository will be
frozen to create a release, and other assorted information to keep
volunteers from tripping over each other. Lazy majority decides each
issue in a release plan.

Release Testing

After a new release is built, it must be tested before being released to
the public. Majority approval is required before the release can be made.
"

> I want to release the store, the xmlutil and the sourceresolve
> subprojects. Anyone against it?

Before releasing excalibur components, I prefer to check if we can move
the stuff elswhere, before creating a legacy here.

So -1 till anyone wanting to release excalibur stuff explains why these
have to be released here versus be in some kind of Commons.

Now more specific points:
- xmlutil -1: seems like a package for xml-commons, no Avalon dependency

- sourceresolve +1: seems like a non-commons-convertible Avalon
component to me

- store -0: it *is* an Avalon Component, but there is a cool simplestore
package in Jakarta-commons-sandbox, written by Gerhard Froehlich
(g-froehlich@gmx.de) Juozas Baliuka (baliuka@mwm.lt).
Gerhard, what's the status? Can't we make our store use simplestore as
an impl?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -